Lancaster Nightline aims to follow 6 principles:
- CONFIDENTIALITY– All calls to Nightline are confidential: we will not divulge anything in your call to anyone outside the service
- ANONYMITY– We won’t make any attempt to find out who you are- we won’t ask for your name. Nightline volunteers are anonymous themselves.
- NON-JUDGEMENTALISM– We have no political, religious, ethnic or moral views. We respect the views of any caller and do not judge you for anything you’ve done.
- NON-DIRECTIVISM– We won’t try to force you towards any course of action, or get you to think about the situation in any particular way.
- EMPATHY– Each call is about YOU as an individual- your thoughts and your feelings. Our volunteers are trained in empathetic listening to make sure we see things from your perspective.
- DEDICATION- All of our volunteers are passionate about helping our callers, and are always here to listen.
All of our volunteers follow these principles when taking calls. All these principles protect both you as a caller, and us as volunteers. The Nightline Association’s catchphrase is, ‘we’ll listen, not lecture’.